Thursday, June 17, 2010

Writing – Not All It’s Cracked Up To Be


I took a course in Writing for Food and Health this last quarter. I had an idea I would write a book on nutrition or maybe a cookbook, or both. I have come to the decision this will be unlikely. I’m actually not surprised. I never have been one to journal or write in a diary for more than a week or two at any given time in my life. I had a hard time finding things to write about that didn’t sound silly or just plain stupid. After taking this class and learning what it takes to write seriously and then actually get it published I found I do not have the passion to be a successful writer. I found you truly have to love it because it is not easy. In this day and age of electronic media it is next to impossible to get noticed and less likely you will earn enough money to make a living.

I admire and support those who do love to write and have a passion for writing. There are a couple of women in my class I consider very talented and they make it look easy. I, on the other hand, struggle and it seems each word must be ripped out of my head and reluctantly put on paper with my hands…it’s exhausting. Give me a vegetable and a knife and I will cook you a meal to die for with my eyes closed. That is my passion, what I do effortlessly and with enthusiasm.

I am glad I took the writing course. The instructor, Terence Maikels, is very good and I learned a lot. But I also learned to recognize when I should step back and leave it to the professionals. I will stick with what I know: nutrition, food and cooking … and reading books of all kinds.

If you would be interested in the Writing for Food and Health course at Bastyr University, go to www.bastyr.edu for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment