Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bittersweet Goodbyes and Exciting Beginnings


Well, it’s the end of the quarter and the end of my days as a master in nutrition student. I graduate on Monday. You are reading my last blog and my last class assignment. It is has been a bittersweet experience this last week. I have been saying goodbye a lot. I feel very discombobulated and out of sync. My routine, though anticipated, has been turned upside down and I find that what keeps be tethered to reality is all the final projects and exams I am working on and studying for. Because I am graduating and moving on to my dietetic internship this summer I resigned my position as a volunteer chef at the Northshore Senior Center in Bothell and I worked my last day in the Finance Office at Bastyr University. I love all the people I work with in both places and will miss them terribly.

Sharon McCain and her husband Gene at Northshore are wonderful people and if anyone would be interested in volunteering a few hours each week to make soups and/or serve soups and sandwiches in the coffee shop contact the volunteer coordinator at Northshore Senior Center at www.northshoreseniorcenter.org. You won’t regret it. I looked forward to it each week and I will miss it this summer.

The women in the Finance Office at Bastyr University have been very supportive the past two years I have worked there. Each one is smart and friendly and fun to work with and I consider them my friends. I hope where ever I end up working I will have such wonderful people to work with. Thank you Mary, Norma, Shirley, Gena, Anna and Joanne.


I have thoroughly enjoyed my education at Bastyr University. The instructors and staff are highly knowledgeable, dedicated and truly care about the students. I have to mention a few people who had a great influence on me. Dr. Diane Spicer, Basic Sciences teacher: I was lucky enough to be in three of her classes. She is an exceptional teacher and sets the example for other teachers to aspire to. Kelly Morrow, MS, RD is a highly trained and insightful clinician and teacher and I thank her for kicking my butt every quarter. I am a better student and a better person for it.

As I finish this blog and say good bye one last time I am truly grateful to my friends and family and everyone I have worked with or studied with and celebrated or commiserated with during the last few years. Thank you to everyone who has supported me. I could not have done it without you! It is because of you I look forward to an exciting beginning as a dietetic intern and a new life as a Registered Dietitian.

No comments:

Post a Comment