Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Too Many Assignments, Not Enough Time…What’s New?


It’s crunch time again… the last few weeks of the quarter and all my classes have major assignments due. This is where I have fallen down in the past in my commitment to exercise and eat a whole foods diet. It is the most stressful time as a student for me and the most important time to stick to a healthy lifestyle of regular exercise and to include fruits & vegetables, lean protein and high quality fats in my eating plan. But, as it is with many people, this is where I fall down. I feel too much stress to take the time to care for myself. I tell myself there is no time to put down the books and take a walk, or work out at the gym. I tell myself there isn’t enough time to shop and cook a healthy meal. The thinking part of my brain tells me this is the opposite of what is best for me. My emotional brain says there is no time! Hit the books and don’t look up until the quarter is over.

Someone once told me not to believe everything my brain tells me. I thought it was a silly thing to say at the time, but I have learned it is true. In very simple terms our brains have two areas that contribute to what we think: the frontal lobe that works through logic and reasoning and the primal limbic lobe that controls our emotions. At times they are in conflict with each other and some pretty weird thoughts can creep up. I have learned to stop and think: ‘I don’t agree with that thought or emotion.’ I don’t have to let it control my actions. It turns out that is a powerful thing to do. The more I practice it, the more I feel in control and I am less stressed. I find I am more relaxed and able to enjoy life even during times of stress like the end of the quarter.

So, to answer my own question, this is what is new: I am taking a new approach to dealing with stress. I have a better outlook for the end of the quarter (and the end of my Masters in Nutrition program). I find I am enjoying school much more and able to savor the last four weeks before graduation. I will never be at this place in time in my life again and I want to make it the best it can be. My time at Bastyr has been a unique experience I will always cherish and never forget. I am so glad I am able to recognize that and revel in it. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment